Target group marketing is an essential part of marketing, which companies use to tailor their marketing efforts to a specific target group. In this article you will learn everything you need to know about target group marketing, from the definition to concrete examples.
definition and examples
Target group marketing means directing marketing measures to a specific target group. The goal is to target a specific group of people efficiently. The aim here is to define the needs and expectations of the target group and to align the marketing measures accordingly in order to address the target group in the best possible way. The goal is to address a specific target group and thereby minimize wastage.
- Example 1: A fitness center targets its marketing campaigns at people between the ages of 25 and 40 who lead an active lifestyle and value their health.
- Example 2: An online store selling products for new parents directs its marketing efforts to couples between the ages of 25 and 35 who have just had or are expecting a baby.
7 practical examples of target group marketing
- Creation of personas for different target groups;
- Aligning the products and services to the needs of the target group;
- Use different channels for the marketing campaign, e.g. online, print, offline;
- produce content that is relevant to the target audience;
- Successfully support target group marketing, e.g. through surveys or contacting the target groups;
- Pricing tailored to the needs of the target audience;
- Advertising messages and keywords tailored to the needs of the target group.
Define the target group
An important factor in target group marketing is the definition of the target group. Because only if you know your target group exactly can you address them effectively. In this context, market segmentation plays an important role. Through targeted segmentation, certain characteristics such as age, level of education, lifestyle and political orientation can be taken into account. This allows you to get an overview of the personas and define your target group. Once you have defined the target group, you can target the marketing measures to this group.
- Segmentation by demographics such as age, gender, and income.
- Segmentation based on psychographic characteristics such as interests, values and lifestyle.
- Segmentation based on geographic features such as location and regional differences.
Target group analysis and buyer personas
In order to analyze the target group more precisely, you can create so-called buyer personas. This is a fictitious person who represents the target group and is defined on the basis of various characteristics such as age, purchasing behavior, needs and interests. By creating buyer personas, companies can get an overview of their target group and market them in a target group-oriented manner.
- Example of a buyer persona: Anna, 30 years old, married, mother of two school-age children, employed and interested in healthy eating, fitness and sustainable consumption.
Acquisition of new customers through target group marketing
Target group marketing is also an important factor in acquiring new customers. The aim here is to address potential customers in a targeted manner and to draw their attention to themselves. Various channels such as newsletters, print or online marketing play an important role here. Target group marketing allows you to address specific groups of people and acquire new customers through effective marketing measures. It is important that the marketing measures are tailored to the needs and interests of the target group in order to achieve a high conversion rate .
- Example of new customer acquisition through target group marketing: An online shop for vegan products uses targeted online advertising on social media platforms such as Instagram and TikTok to address people who are interested in a plant-based diet.
What is Target Marketing?
Target group marketing is a method of marketing in which you target and target a specific group of people, the so-called target group.
Why is Target Marketing Important?
Target group marketing is important because it supports companies in increasing their customer orientation and in making their marketing measures more cost-effective and effective.
What is an audience definition?
Target group definition is the first step in target group marketing. It is about defining the needs and characteristics of the target group and thus achieving a targeted approach and alignment of the marketing campaign.
How can you define a target group?
You can ask a target group by asking questions, eg who are my customers? What are their needs? What are their interests? What problems do you want to solve?
What is a persona?
A persona is a fictional person that represents the needs, interests, and characteristics of the target audience. It helps to make the marketing campaign tailor-made and relevant.
What does segmentation mean?
Segmentation is a method in which the target group is divided into several groups based on certain characteristics such as age, gender, interests or purchasing behavior.
What is a buyer persona?
A buyer persona is a persona that represents the needs and characteristics of the typical prospect, i.e. someone who is about to become a customer. It helps to align the marketing campaign even more specifically with these interested parties.
What is a newsletter and how can it be used for target group marketing?
A newsletter is an e-mail that is sent regularly to interested people. It can be used for target group marketing by containing relevant and useful information for the target group and thus binding them to the company in the long term.
Why is findability so important to audience marketing?
Findability is of great importance for target group marketing because the target group can only be reached if they find the company and the products and services it offers. To do this, the company must be differentiated and well positioned in the search engines.
In summary, target group marketing is an important part of marketing to target marketing measures to a specific target group. By defining the target group, creating buyer personas and targeted market segmentation, companies can effectively define and effectively address their target group. This allows them to win new customers and implement their marketing measures in a cost-efficient and targeted manner. Target group marketing supports companies in marketing their products and services specifically to their target group and thus being successful in the long term.